Lazalu was an artist retreat for 20 years and now welcomes guests. Reserving the whole property is ideal for small retreats, adventurers, and destination weddings. There is a shared kitchen area, outdoor shower, and WIFI. Because of its incredible location in Zion National Park, a friend said, “Lazalu truly is the heart of the artichoke.”“
The Retreat Houses
Lazalu is off the grid and green. Lazalu is a secluded retreat venue at the western edge of Zion National Park. A two hour drive from Las Vegas, or a 40-minute helicopter flight from there to your bedroom. Lazalu is also close to flights into St. George and Cedar City, each less than an hour away. If you fly, you could have breakfast in LA or San Francisco, and lunch at Lazalu. With no city lights, the night sky stars and Milky Way feel close enough to swim in.
There are two rental houses on the property, only two, with a total number of up to 8 guests. Zion Guest House sleeps up to 6 and the Adobe Suite sleeps 2. Each house has their own bathroom and shower. Renting the whole property creates privacy for your family and friends.
Lazalu is ideal for small weddings. Lazalu has stunning views and makes an enchanted location. Lazalu works with the best local wedding planner. Write or call about your wedding plans: 435-619-4299, or [email protected]
The Adobe Suite
The Adobe Suite is one room with private bath, perfect for romantic get-away, or young family. The room offers comfort with understated charm. The main feature is a glass door that swings open onto a private patio and stunning views of Cave Valley and Zion National Park. The Adobe Suite is made from ancient adobe brick but designed with a modern twist. There is a common area to gather in and prepare meals.
The manager lives on the property. He is there to ensure you have what you want. Only if you like, he is happy to answer questions and connect you to the experiences that will make your stay memorable. The manager’s home houses a lending library of 2,000 art, literature and poetry books.
The Zion Guest House
The Zion Guest House has unique views of Zion National Park, and its striking red rock mountains. The Zion Guest House has two twin trundle beds in the backroom and a queen bed in the front room. The Zion Guest House sleeps six, two in the front room and four in the back room. There is a shower and a large oval marble bathtub. There is access to a shared kitchen and a common dining room.
The entire property includes a common area, access to a kitchen, and an outdoor shower. A cabin in the oak grove can be used for work, or contemplation. It’s a short walk into the red rock of the Park. The manager’s house and courtyard are private unless you have a question, or wish to borrow a book from a collection of 2,000 volumes on art, poetry, and world literature.
There are licensed guides available and many nearby attractions the manager can tell you about when you arrive, or you can schedule in advance.
Common Attractions Available Near Zion National Park
- Guided Hiking
- Guided Backpacking
- Guided Canyoneering
- Swimming, canoeing and paddle boarding
- Guided Rock Climbing, Rappelling
- Scenic Drives & Sightseeing
- Fishing & Lake Activities
- Fine Dining
- Horseback Rides
- Private On Location Massages and Yoga
A small cabin is available in the oak grove for work, contemplation, or tea ceremony offered by the owner. Many popular hiking trails lead from the property, or are within a short drive, including Wildcat, Hop Valley, and The Subway trail heads.
We respect your privacy, but, if asked, are available for sharing local knowledge. Meals can be ordered through the best local restaurants, or we can shop for you in advance.
Several Features that make Lazalu Unique
- There are caves with petroglyphs to explore and hikes or drives with stunning views. From a nearby drive are dinosaur tracks and more petroglyphs as well as a reservoir to swim in a short drive up the hill.
- Lazalu is in the heart of a wilderness. Having the right gear is essential: day pack, sunblock, long pants and shirt, water bottle, good boots or hightop sneakers, and a lot of common sense.
- Arrive by helicopter, the aerial views are spectacular.
- Navigate on GPS to Lazalu, Zion Retreat 11 Kolob Terrace Road Virgin, Utah 84779 – Click Here For Google Maps
- Lazalu is a two-hour drive from Las Vegas and is 11 miles above Virgin, Utah on the Kolob Terrace Road.
- Lazalu is forty minutes from Springdale and Hurricane, towns with amenities.
- I suggest food shopping before arrival. However, local restaurants can provide take away meals, if ordered in advance. Arriving late? Let Lazalu collect your dinner.
- There is a Whole Foods in Las Vegas, two groceries in Hurricane, our closest town, and an organic Natural Grocers in St. George.
- There is a State Liquor Store in Hurricane. Beer can be purchased in any market.
- You are forty minutes from Springdale, the center of Zion National Park. Springdale has good restaurants, shopping, liquor, a small nightlife, and hikes with crowds of other tourists.
- In Hurricane are all the conveniences: movies, laundry, doctors, markets, and restaurants, a car garage.
- At the altitude of 5,800 ft. Lazalu is always 15 degrees cooler than the desert below.
- There is access to a kitchen/common area and free parking. A small cabin sits in the oak grove for contemplation, or work, or a tea ceremony offered by the owner.
- There is Wifi and phone reception but it is spotty. There is no streaming.
- I recommend downloading films before you arrive.
- Ancient Indian tribes considered Cave Valley a place of transformation. If not a transformation, you can have relaxing days away from your busy life.
As a PBS filmmaker, I experienced great world wide hospitality and my goal is to make your experience at Lazalu equally fabulous.
- Towels, bed sheets, soap, and toilet paper
- Wood Stoves
- Hot water
- Bathtub (Only Zion Guest House)
- Laptop friendly workspace
- Wifi – Slow, no Streaming
- Free parking on premises
- Single level home
- No stairs in home
- Space where guests can cook their own meals
- Full Kitchen
- Guest access
- Host greets you
- Private entrance
- Separate entrances
- Luggage drop-off allowed for guests’ convenience, either early arrival or late departure
- Long term stays allowed up to 21 days
- Bed & Bath
- Bed linens
- Extra pillows and blankets
- Hair dryer
- BBQ grill
- Grand views all around
- Safety features
- Fire extinguisher
- Carbon monoxide detector
- Smoke detector
- First aid kit
- Not included / Unavailable:
- Washer & Dryer